Saturday 28 March 2009

How to run your business before it runs you



As an expert on entrepreneurship, this article is going to be one of the best you ever read in your life. Do you want to build a successful skill? If so, chances are you invest a lot of time each day into making a success of your business. I know I do since starting my virtual assistant business in 2008. I figured that's what would be required to succeed in business. I basically gave up my life for that first few months to give everything to my business. Since those early days, I've come to question that belief.
Of course, I want to do whatever is necessary to have success in business. After all, that's what it's all about. I've simply altered my opinion of exactly what is necessary and how best to achieve it. I enjoy what I do, but it's not just for fun; it's my living. For me, it all comes down to balance; a balance between your work and your personal life. I've written about balance before, but I feel it is worth reiterating because it is a very important part of what helps me to be successful. When I am able to attain that balance, I find I am better equipped mentally, spiritually and emotionally to get done what I need to; I get more bang for my buck. For example, an hours' worth of work is far more productive if I take time to rejuvenate than if I try to work straight through without a break. Otherwise, I spend a lot of wasted time correcting careless mistakes. I am better able to maintain a level of focus to produce better quality work in a lesser amount of time.
I don't mind admitting that it is sometimes a challenge to create that balance in my life, for various reasons. Sometimes I just have a lot on my mind at once, and need to exercise self discipline to only focus on the task at hand. But then, sometimes I get too focused and get so caught up in what I'm doing that I lose track of time. I'm not typically one to give up on something until I have it completed and perfected. Another thing that sometimes gets in the way is sort of a contradiction; it is the fact that I truly enjoy my work. But, although I enjoy what I do for a living, it's still work, and I still need to ensure that I make time for my personal life, i.e. family, pets, self care - that sort of thing.
Do you have difficulty finding that balance? If so, try creating a daily schedule for yourself. That way, you can be sure to schedule in the personal time you need. It doesn't have to be a huge chunk of time. Small things here and there throughout the day can make an immense difference at the end of the day. It might only be scheduling a 20-minute break to spend with the kids when they get home from school, or making time for a sit-down morning cup of coffee with your significant other, or scheduling a long lunch hour so you can work out or enjoy a walk with the dog. Look for subtle changes you can make in your daily routine. Those small changes can go a long way.
Another thing you might consider is hiring someone to assist you in your business. It may be that having someone that can devote a couple of hours a day to your business will give you the extra time you need for more important things. I suggest giving that person the tasks that you are less proficient at, thereby freeing up more time for yourself than just the couple of hours it takes that person to complete those tasks. If you think about it, hiring someone for only a couple of hours a day can't be that expensive compared to your overall sanity!
I am very good at time management, efficiency and organization. They are characteristics that come natural to me and are an integral part of my business. Therefore, it's easy for me to talk about them and how to utilize them to achieve more productivity in your business, as well as an overall higher quality of life. If these are not things you are good at, I encourage you to look for resources that can help you in this area. There are numerous books and related articles that talk about time management. There are people, such as myself, that are very good at it and can assist you. I realize that different things work better for different people. The important thing is to find a method that works for you. Life is too short to spend it wasting your time. Don't misunderstand me; I'm not advocating slacking off or neglecting your business. I wish you success in your business, just as I want success in mine. What I am advocating is working smarter, not harder. That's what will help you achieve that delicate and important balance between your work life and your personal life.

To read more articles and expert ideas on the entrepreneurship email to

No comments:

Post a Comment